I have made this recipe before and was really in the mood for it again last night.
preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Scones:
2 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 TBL baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
3 TBL cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
mix these ingredients together, using your fingertips rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles fine crumbs or the butter is mixed in.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the following:
1 c. heavy or whipping cream
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Use a fork to blend the liquids within the well. Combine all of the ingredients, just until the dough holds together.
Scrape the dough onto a flour-dusted surface and then, using floured hands, knead it gently three or four times to form a ball. Flatten the ball into a disk anbout 3/4 inch thick, then cut it as you would a pie into wedges. Transfer the pieces to the baking sheet, leaving at least 1/4 inch between them. Brush the tops lightly with cream.
Bake the scones in the center of the oven until golden brown, about 16-18 minutes. Allow them to cool on the sheet for a few minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack.
Lemon Glaze:
1 c. confectioners' sugar
1 TBL fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 TBL melted butter
2 TBL heavy or whipping cream
Mix the glaze until smooth. If necessary, you can thin the glaze with water, stirring in no more than 1/2 tsp at a time (I haven't had to do this).
When the scones are cooled, drizzle or spread each one generously with the glaze. YUM! (Familyfun March, 2008)
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Glazed Lemon Scones
Labels:
recipe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You'll have to make that for us someday! Too many ingredients for me! I picked a cook book up at the DI, The Four Ingredient Cookbook, as easy a 1,2,3,4!! That's all I can handle! I wish I could bake and cook the way you do!!
Bonnie G
Mmm. Looks good. Maybe I'll make this one for the next Eichelberger/Watson dinner at our house. I'm a little leery of the lemon (not a huge lemon fan_maybe it's because I think dessert should always include chocolate), but we'll see. I bet they're good.
M.
Oh, check out 'Peggy's blog' for "Millionares shortbread." Just tried those and they're pretty good.
Post a Comment