Friday, July 31, 2009

7 years - Cassidy

Today would have been Cassidy's 7th birthday. It was a good day!

Earlier in the week the details of her birth and death had been discussed with a couple of ladies in my new ward and they were so kind this morning to show up at my door with flowers. We really have moved into the best neighborhood (not just because of the flowers)! A little bit later I had the kids look through Cassidy's photo album and through her baby box that holds a variety of momentos.

Later in the afternoon we took the Oquirrh Temple tour and it was a great reminder of why we are here on Earth and that our little family will be reunited with Cassidy one day. I remember going through the Jordan River Temple when I was little and I hope my kids are at the age that they will remember what a big deal it is to have another temple so close to our home.


We also decided that since we do not buy presents on this particular birthday, we would take the kids someplace we don't normally go. Jared and I decided the Mayan would be a good choice, since we haven't been since it was remodeled. We didn't tell the kids until we were almost there and they were excited. We got a really good table with a perfect viewing spot of the diving show. The divers came out 3 times while we were there and the food has improved a lot.

I put the history of Cassidy's birth on my blog last year so if you want to see it you can look under "Cassidy" in the labels. Today I thought I would put a couple of really thoughtful poems that family members wrote for me when she died. I have used them in cards for other people and I feel that they were really inspired.


This time in life we're tested by the loss of someone dear,
Who only for a moment could linger with us here.

Her presence gave us joy and love and also brought much pain,
As we struggled to accept God's will, and peace we sought to gain.

A lovely gift from heavn' above, she came down to this earth,
To teach us faith and trust in God; the reason for her birth.

We know she's sweet and perfect too; without the flaw of man,
She's gone to do a greater work; it's Heavenly Father's plan.

His purpose and reasons, though, may not seem clear or plain,
But through His many promises, great blessings we'll obtain.

For all families are forever and if each will do his part,
We'll live again together; it's the beauty of God's heart.

- Melissa Eichelberger (sister in law)


I'm a precious little angel
Sent down from up above,
I chose you as my parents
For I knew that I'd be loved.

You'll probably always wonder
And continue to ask why,
But this is what God wanted
So please try not to cry.

My heavenly spirit inside me
Was too perfect for my earthly stay.
So I couldn't live with you for now,
But I know I will someday.

You will always be my Mom and Dad
For now and in worlds to come.
I'll be waiting for that special day
When we're all together as one.

You were chosen for this special task
Even though it seems too much to bear,
If it were part of God's great plan
You know I'd still be with you there.

But God has other things in mind
That we do not understand,
He'll explain it to us later
As we're walking hand in hand.

Try to feel my spirit
As you struggle through each day,
I'll be there right beside you
Giving my love along the way.

I'm watching over you daily
From a place you cannot be,
But in time you'll be here with me
And then we all will see.

That life is just a blink in time
But forever goes on and on.
So keep me in your hearts for now
Until eternity when we are one.
- Diana Webb (cousin)

7 comments:

Craig and Pam said...

We too have thought alot about Cassidy today, actually the last couple of days. How blessed we are to have had her in our life for that few short hours that she was permitted to be here wit us.
I love your picture in front of the Temple...Jared looks mighty fine in a suit...as do the rest of you. We love all of you.

Rob and Bec said...

Its funny how a tiny little spirt can bring so much to so many people in such a short period of time, but some purposes seemed to be fullfilled sooner than others and what an amaizingly dedicated little girl we were given to teach us so much about love and the gift of eternity. I am very grateful for the beautiful little niece i still crave to touch. xoxo

melissa said...

I've been published?!

What a great way to spend Cassidy's birthday; at the new temple. We're grateful to know that although we didn't get the chance to know Cassidy on this earth, the time will come when we will.

All our love.

Merrills said...

I love those poems they are really great! Happy Birthday Sweet Cassidy!

Shalise said...

What a great post, I love Cassidy's name; I am so sorry for your loss. What an angel she is and how great is it that you will see her again, I think your an amazing person and I have really enjoyed your blog. Cassidy is proud of you for sure.

Liz said...

What a fun and memorable way to spend the day and feel of her spirit. Those poems were beautiful.

MW Photography said...

I think if Cassidy Olivia every time I go through my wedding album and I see you pregnant with her:)