Thursday, December 11, 2008

If found, please return to.....


If anyone finds a kidney, please return it to Bailee. I took this picture after she dressed in her gown. She is holding her dog "cheetah, and her doll that is yet to be named.

The past year Bailee has had several UTI's, so her pediatrician wanted us to take her to Primary Children's Hospital for an ultrasound and a VCUG. We had the appointment today and towards the end of the ultrasound, before the radiologist came in, the ultrasound tech asked me if I had an ultrasound when I was pregnant with Bailee. I answered, "yes". She then asked me if it had been mentioned if Bailee had two kidneys. I thought the question was odd and knew it was going somewhere and responded that they hadn't really specified, from what I remembered 3 1/2 years ago but I am pretty sure I would remember if they had told me she didn't. Well, she proceeded to tell me that she could only find one kidney but she would have the radiologist double check.

Sure enough, she only has one "big beautiful kidney" (as the tech kept referring to it). I am still getting used to the fact that she has no right kidney.

Oh wait, that isn't all. The VCUG (a more invasive test) indicated that she has reflux, which isn't so bad with two working kidneys but she will probably need surgery since only one kidney is functioning. Lovely.

Something funny that happened, while we were there, was her past history showed up on their computer and the nurse read "swallowed foreign object." I then had to let them know how she swallowed a "blank" (bullet) when she was younger and we took her in for x-rays.

What can I say, she is always keeping us on our toes.

Also, those that know Jared, know that he could tell you all the stats and info about Multi Cystic Dysplastic Kidney - by the time he got home from work (30 minutes later).

Her pediatrician (whom I adore) called tonight at about 7pm and asked if I had gotten any info from the radiologist. I told him I knew that Bailee only has one kidney and he said that is what he wanted to know because otherwise he was going to ask me to sit down.

Seriously, I am so glad that we took her in to get checked and we were able to find this information out at a time that wasn't an emergency situation. I am grateful for doctors and nurses that know what they are doing. I love Primary Children's and the patient and caring way that they handle kids. I am thankful for the promptings of the spirit, to follow through when things "just don't seem right".

To be continued.....

6 comments:

melissa said...

Oh my gosh, Bridget. No wonder I haven't heard from you this week. I should have called.

What a brave little patient. And mom and dad, I might add.

Wow. We'll keep Bailee in our thoughts & prayers. I'm hpapy to take Josh for any upcoming appointments and such. Keep us updated.

Unknown said...

Chris was just telling me about this today. I think I asked Chris when you said that she was having UTI's all the time if her kidney's had been checked (not that I know anything). About a year before I met Chris I started getting them all the time (I had NEVER had one prior), and it turned out a had a mild kidney infection, they finally tested after I had one 1 a month for 3-4 months! Myself as an adult could not handle the pain! I feel so bad, but am glad that her other looks well!

Carmen (Cholico) Lynch said...

You'll be in our prayers! It seems that she is in good hands. There is nothing like good Pediatrician!

Becky said...

That is something you wouldn't have forgotten, IF the ultrasound tech HAD told you. It is good they found out now, hope everything goes well for her.

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm glad that she is okay. It sounds like quite the ordeal!! Only one Kidney, huh? I guess a lot of people survive just fine with only one....but who knew?? Hope you guys had a great Christmas!

Shalise said...

You have sure been through a lot! I am glad you finally know what is going on with her and she is in great care at the hospitals we have here in this state. Poor kid, it's never easy seeing your kids go through a medical trial- your in our thoughts and prayers- did you find a house yet??